It’s week 10 and I’m still in plaster.
When Cast Number 5 was removed in week 8 we had a little while to see how healing was progressing… things seem to me to be going well, so we wait for the Doctor to arrive with a verdict.
I had been talking myself into the idea that the fluorescent yellow cast would surely be the final one.
I mentioned this to the Doctor when he walked in and the look on his face and the fact that he laughed before looking at me to check that I was serious, told me that I had definitely been wishful thinking.
That’s how I ended up in Cast Number 7. A nice Purple little number, thinner version of the previous ones and shorter too. A rubber sole straps on underneath, and so I can practice standing and taking steps.
It’s always rather painful for at least 24 hours after a new cast is put on, so I wasn’t surprised when the Friday was not an easy day… but by the end of the day I know something wasn’t right and that was confirmed over the weekend as I had a band of intense pain around the back of my leg. The cast felt really tight and the skin there was really hurting.
I stuffed cotton wool balls down the there with difficulty even though there was not really any gap and whilst it alleviated the pressure for a while, once the cotton got flat the pain was back with a vengeance.
I couldn’t sleep much and poor Himself had me jiggling and turning every night trying to get comfy to no avail. I sat with my leg raised as high as possible an constant supply of ice-packs against the plaster to relieve pain (yes, they work!) and waited for Monday morning.
We phoned the hospital Monday and were back in the plaster department soonest to fix the problem. They cut the purple cast off and it revealed an ugly red band of skin around the back of my leg, it was clear that it had been too tight to take up the swelling that came every time I stood up.
Cast number 7 is again a short walking cast, this time in Fire Engine Red.
The colour seemed like a good idea at the time but now every time I look at it , it looks like I sneaked into Santa’s wardrobe and thieved part of his ensemble.
I also got more padding around the back of the cast so the good news is that I have been standing an walking more and more and although short bursts go better than longer attempts, it is at least progress.
A suggested alternative to the rubber sole was that I might try on one of Himself’s shoes.. since for ladies, their men-folk’s bigger shoe size could accommodate the cast quite well and be more comfortable than the strap-on rubber sole.
Well we tried it, and giggled a lot before totally and completely abandoning that idea.
Himself has abnormally massive feet, to match his overly tall length. Size 47′s to be precise and even with a cast on, my size 38′s were swimming in his shoes. We tied the laces tight and there was still room everywhere inside LOL.
We agreed that attempting to walk in loose small boats would be an unwise recipe for disaster, so rubber sole it is.
I go back to the hospital at the end of this week and will see the trauma surgeon who did the operation in November, and if he is happy with progress then maybe I can finally leave hospital without plaster for the first time in months.
Please cross ya fingers and ya toes! …Here’s hoping!